Carl Hudson, who has known Rodie almost since birth, gave a wonderful eulogy, describing the gang of five and six year olds on the west side of town. "Believe me, we were a ratpack of little terrorists. Anything that could be shot with a slingshot or bb gun was shot..." Becky and Beth Anne and Paul had equally wonderful, and meaningful eulogies that covered Rodie's life so well.
I am not one of the 'good' ol boys. I was actually one of his clients. We met maybe a handful of times to discuss my case & he eventually mopped the floor with my ex husband.
ReplyDeleteOur first meeting was the consult for my divorce. I took in all my 'evidence' of my online cheating ex-husband. Screen shots of the ex's *thing* hanging out online. I showed them to Gerry & he let out an audible laugh before choking out, "Well where the fuck is it?" I said, "Below his BIG belt buckle." Gerry said something to the fact of, "No wonder the fucker wears a big belt buckle." I about died laughing.
He said, "I'm gonna tell you now, you marry the first time for love, the second time you get married, do it for money."
He may or may not remember who I was but I'll forever remember him. He was a total class act in the court room. At first I thought man this guy is crass if not asshole-ish.. I LOVE HIM! He was great! He intimidated the crap out of me.
I go back to court in July to adjust the child support/alimony and such. I honestly couldn't wait to go back. I LOVED LOVED LOVED watching him mop the floor with my ex.
Almost a month ago to the day of his death I sent Sandy an email with the kids' pictures in it. I said, "Show em to Gerry if you'd like, then he can see who he's fought so hard for." I don't know if he ever saw them or not.
Gerry was one hell of a man. He gave me my freedom back from my ex. He made my children and I happy again. My children got their happy mommy back because of him. When we went into court I felt protected if not invincible because I had a kick ass attorney.
Gerry, You are so terribly missed. I hope that you are at peace now. I hope all of your demons are gone. I hope and pray you can see how much you are truly loved. You made a difference in lives. So many lives. My parents got their daughter back. My parents got their grandbabies back. All because of you! I couldn't ever thank you enough for how awesome you are. Rest In Peace.
To his close family & friends, You are so very lucky to have known him outside the law office. My heart goes out to you guys. I adored him as an attorney & can only imagine that he was larger than life outside the office.
Lisa
This is classic. Gave me a good chuckle reading it. He was pretty much like this with the good ole boys, as a young kid, and just about everywhere. He really loved to fight for his clients.
ReplyDelete